Digital Detox -- Can I Do It?

The 5th episode in Modern Family's 2nd season, "Online Unplugged", left me with this question: What is so wrong with being plugged in all the time?

OK, wait, let's back up a little bit because I've just realized how rhetorical that question is.  I'll admit that there is something wrong with being constantly logged in, but I'm not sure being unplugged is a good thing either.  Especially nowadays, when going online has made it easier to:
  • keep in touch with friends
  • find out the answer for myself
  • book flights online
  • find my way around
  • keep updated about goings-on in the world
  • avoid traffic jams
  • decide where to eat
  • give the president a piece of my mind and make sure he gets the package
The list goes on and on and on and on.  It's a digital world that we're living in now, baby!  The technology has evolved and become even more easily accessible and relevant than ever, so being plugged into the internet should actually be normal and practical already.  There's nothing elitist about it anymore.

But, when taken to the extreme, being plugged into the matrix even before breakfast is served can be unhealthy.  I mean, just take me as an example.  It's 4:30 AM but I'm still awake.  And blogging and tweeting at the same time.  It is so wrong.  It is not normal.

Let me just say right now that I know I cannot go for an entire week without plugging into the matrix 100%.  I tried four days and survived, but seven days?  I don't know.  The thought frightens me and invokes withdrawal symptoms *biting fingernails*

I am intrigued by what the Dunphy family attempted to do.  I do want to experience what they went through, but I can't do a full detox because my work requires me to use digital tools and/or be online.

So, here's what I'll try to achieve over the next 7 days starting today, October 25, 2010: I will just set hard limits on my online hours.  My regular work schedule is 8AM-5PM (riiiiiight...).  Although I have a reasonable amount of work to do on a daily basis, there are frequent lulls and it is during those times when I log into my social network.  During the next 7 days, when faced with idle time, I promise not to log on over 2 hours per day and will log off promptly once the daily 2-hour limit has been reached.

This means, I have to find other things to do when I'm idle. I could:
  • work on a new Flash animation project
  • write those short stories I've kinda completed in my head
  • draw
  • learn pinyin
  • watch movies
  • read a book
  • spend more time chatting with friends face-to-face
  • try a new recipe
  • play board games with my kids
  • go for a walk
  • get more sleep
  • find new jeans and pants in thrift stores
Hmmm, the timing seems off.  This might be easier and funner to do during the week we vacation in Cebu...FOCUS, NIX!  This is not the time to wuss out now.  You gotta stick this through to the end.

And then I'll blog about it.  Hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment