The Cheapest Laptop Bag Ever

Here in the Philippines, toting a laptop bag makes you a potential theft victim.  Smarter laptop owners opt for the backpack option.  Some designs hide the gadget very well, but the really good bags don't usually come cheap.

Fortunately, a perk from working for IT companies is getting nice, sturdy laptop backpacks for free.  Unfortunately, I'm not a laptop backpack kind of girl.

Laptop backpacks may work for others, but I'm not too fond of them because of the back strain I get from lugging them around.

So since I've crossed the usual laptop bag and laptop backpack designs out of the picture completely, that meant I was looking for a style that wasn't easy to find.  Not only that -- the unique designs tend to be more expensive than laptop backpacks.

Hard to find + more expensive = sounds like a challenge for the cheapskate in me.  I knew I had to exhaust all possible options first, starting with the least pricey ones.  You might think it ridiculous, all because of a laptop bag.  But here's where I wag a finger and say, "Tut, tut!  Don't underestimate this bargain hunter."

After poring over a number of options, I'd begun toying with the idea of pairing an earth-friendly bag (made of either canvas cloth or tarp) and a padded laptop sleeve.  Separating these two parts would make the purchase convenient and practical.  I could transfer the laptop in the sleeve into another bag or keep it protected while it's out of the bag, plus I could also use the bag on other occasions.  It's a win-win!

Sure it wasn't easy to find a suitable eco-friendly bag and it took a while.  But I did it.  I finally found a strong tarp bag that cost only (drum roll please) PHP150!  As for a suitable laptop sleeve, that was a bit easier to find.  I soon settled with a snug-fitting black-colored one that cost PHP330. 

Cost of upcycled "laptop bag" and laptop sleeve = PHP480
Cost of satisfying my inner cheapskate and subtly protecting my laptop from potential theft = Priceless :)

No comments:

Post a Comment