Online Suki in Multiply

When I got a Multiply account around mid-2007, it was entirely for blogging and social networking purposes.  That arrangement didn't last long because, after months of ignoring friends' invites to join Facebook, I finally did in October 2007.  Barely a year later, I've all but forgotten Multiply still exists.  But, I still keep it around, not for the same reasons though.  Nowadays, I log on it only to do one thing: shop.

It was my friend Goldie who introduced me to this other side of Multiply.  Of course at first I had my doubts, I had a lot of questions about how it all works.  It was entirely new and different -- very different -- from buying via Amazon or Threadless, for example.

The online shopping network in Multiply is a virtual tiangge wonderland.  It is Greenhills and Divisoria together on the web.  Just like our favorite bargain haunts, you can find almost anything (including furniture, I'm not kidding) and haggle away.  But here, it's easier to "walk away" and not feel pangs of regret because all it takes to resist spending is to log out or close your browser windows.  No sweat!

Most online sellers have a set of "store policies" on their home page, as well as contact info and ordering/payment processes.  Some shops are managed by just one person, others by partners/groups, and some are online avenues for stores that actually exist in the real world.  While most shops are generous with details about the items they sell, others are not as forthcoming with information.  In such cases, usually a back-and-forth exchange occurs privately, which may or may not lead to an actual purchase.  And speaking of purchase, a number of sellers agree to a partial payment option, especially if you've proven yourself to be a trustworthy buyer (it's a small world, word gets around) or if you're already a suki and you've placed a huge order.  Almost none of these sellers accept credit card payment (too complicated to bother with), preferring instead to be paid via OTC bank deposit, GCash, money order, or COD if it's possible for you both to meet in person, usually at the buyer's convenience.  I usually prefer the pay-then-deliver arrangement.  After paying for my orders, I just relax and wait for my package to arrive.

Once you get the hang of it, it can be quite addictive especially because the entire process is incredibly easy and convenient.  Moreso once you find online sellers who make the entire experience even more pleasant.  It's not hard to find the good ones; just like looking for a suki in the wet market, you have to trust your gut feel, be open to a potential relationship, and also set your standards.  I have a 2-strike rule that involves one simple thing: consistency.  I've removed connections with a few online sellers who were hard to reach, promised one thing but delivered another, and messed up/forgot about my orders.  Thankfully, most of my suki are level-headed individuals who are courteous and organized.

Since getting hooked on online shopping via Multiply, I now do maybe 90% of my shopping there.  Most of my suki sellers even notify me via SMS if they've got something new.  The cherry on top is my having done 3/4 of our Christmas shopping the last two holiday seasons entirely online.

Over the last couple of years, the same virtual tiangge culture began growing also in Facebook.  It doesn't work as well for me primarily because, despite all of Facebook's merits, the UI doesn't have a simple filtering system by default.  On the other hand, all you've got on your Multiply account's default home page is an Inbox and three filtering options that need no additional custom settings.  Since a UI redesign a couple of years ago, a few more filtering options became available on the lefthand navbar.  It's all pre-arranged for you like an e-mail inbox.  Easy peasy.  Ironically though, it is this simplistic yet limited design that prevents Multiply from becoming a social media powerhouse like Facebook.

Just as well, because retail therapy needs a place of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment