If a journalist really did his/her job and have solid evidence, despite their fears, why stop short of telling the whole truth? You have to stick to your guns. Just as Patricia Evangelista (who also writes for the Philippine Daily Inquirer) did when she reported about Superintendent Emma Libunao, chief of the CIDG’s Women and Children Protection Division, power-playing at the Metrowalk last Feb. 3, 2011.
But, as a sensible friend pointed out, Ms. Salcedo and maybe even "Georgia" have their own reasons not to go full throttle on the issue. That's their choice. I just wish the article wasn't written in the way it was. Ms. Salcedo went into so much detail about BBB's and PR Firm's activities that it's no wonder most readers were "sidetracked" and demanded to know who they are, instead of being more concerned that such practices were going on -- which is what Ms. Salcedo claims was her intention for publishing the piece in the first place. She should've talked more about that instead and mentioned the suspects as just an example.
Truth be told: BBB's and PR Firm's alleged M.O. is not new and neither are they the only ones using it. Since 1999, I've met a handful of online writers who used to do this. I myself had received such offers from PR reps and certain establishments. I can confidently say I've never compromised. If I believe in the product and/or services, and even if I don't, I will give my honest opinion in an objective manner. Because, while Ms. Salcedo claims that her calling out BBB's and PR Firm's loathsome practice left a bad taste in her mouth (why so?), doesn't lying taste so much more worse?
But now it is time to move on from this topic. The question now is: how do we avoid getting caught in the trap of this alleged M.O.? Some suggestions:
- Do your research first. Do a background check.
- Put all the details and agreements down in writing, and secure signed conforme from all parties concerned. You have to protect yourself and having a paper trail is one way to do so.
- Listen to your gut feel. If something raises a red flag in your mind, then you have to point it out and get clarification.
- Think about the consequences.
- Just say "No". There may be times when you'll find yourself in a tight spot, and then this really good deal falls in your lap and it sounds exactly like an answered prayer. Let your elatedness pass and return to reason. Can you really pull this off without barfing all over your wasted dignity? Do you truly believe in the product? It's tough to finish the job if your heart isn't totally in it. But, if you do your job right and do it well, you will never run out of opportunities. Better ones, at that.
No comments:
Post a Comment