How Samsung Can Make a Smarter Couch Potato Out of You


The new Samsung Smart TV is sleek and shiny, and it almost looks afloat (thanks to its 5mm bezel).  But its real beauty is in how it completely changes what we think a TV is for.

If you're like me, you turn the telly on for one of 3 reasons:

1. You need the ambient noise while you do your thing on your computer, netbook, or mobile device;
2. To catch just that show you like while at the same time tweeting or blogging about it;
3. Cure for insomnia (doesn't really work though).

But, if I had a Samsung Smart TV:

1. I could watch TV or movies and tweet or chat at the same time via its Social TV feature -- plus, I don't end up having a sore neck from turning my head back-and-forth from the TV to my laptop.

Infrared remote controls are so 1980.
2. Even if I'm not watching TV, I can still use the built-in web browser on the Smart TV (which can connect to the internet) to do research while I work on my mobile device.  It's like having a second monitor, but one that's way more cooler.  And, because the Smart TV has an AllShare feature that lets my wireless device connect to its wifi network, I don't have to hook up additional hardware or cables (that's so 2008, dude!) -- or even use in-the-cloud transfer/storage options -- to transfer files or other information from the web browser to my handheld device.

3. Since we're on the awesome subject of wireless connection (I hate messy cables, can you tell?): video game parties FTW, woohoo!

4. Camera-to-device transfer would also become so easy to do.  After a vacation, my family and friends would have so much fun viewing the pictures on the huge LED screen.  And since it's 3D-compatible, we could also view 3D pictures :D  Then, we'll use a photo or movie editing app to create a slideshow -- right on the Smart TV screen -- that we could easily upload afterwards to Youtube, Vimeo, Flickr, Facebook, or another image/video hosting site.

5. Movie nights with my gaggle of geeks will become even more kick-ass cool with the HD and 3D capabilities of the Smart TV.  Imagine watching visually epic movies like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Avatar, UP (this list may not have an end) in Blu-Ray on that gorgeous big-ass screen.  And we're not going to use clunky, flimsy 3D glasses that won't stay on (and are ugly. Am I right?). We'll be using Samsung's slim, ergonomic, lightweight 3D glasses that sync via bluetooth with the Smart TV.

6. Video calls with my family in the US can turn into a Skype party -- we can do a really special birthday or anniversary or congratulatory greeting or performance (level up!) on-the-spot -- and, with a screen that huge, we don't have to cram everyone into the screen.

Right now, I'm thinking: this is an amazing piece of technology.  It's like having superpowers.  We gotta kick it up a notch.  Loftier dreams are in order (stay tuned for another blog post -- this time, with bigger ideas).

Oh, yes, Samsung Smart TV, we can rock this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment