An Ordinary Farewell

"No Ordinary Family" didn't sound extraordinary to me the first time I read its plot.  I couldn't see why people were excited about it.  After the horrific train wreck that was "Heroes", I just thought it was wrong to further explore the idea of a dramatic TV series about human beings with superpowers.  I was certain that "No Ordinary Family" would roll down the same rocky hill that "Heroes" did, which is not something I'd want to see again.  Besides, I was already following 8 other TV series and my mind just couldn't keep track any more.

But then, a friend tweeted about Manny Pacquiao being mentioned in an episode of "No Ordinary Family", so I told myself, maybe it's not as bad as I think it will be (oh boy, you silly rabbit).

I started from the beginning.  By episode 3, I was hooked, but not that much yet.  I felt that the writers were taking too long with warming things up.  The main characters didn't really get into their groove until the 6th or 7th episode.  After that, the ride became smooth, fun, and refreshing.

What made it work, finally?  The family itself.  By episode 13, which is the best in my opinion (pop culture references -- FTW!), the show had truly established its core theme: what an ordinary family thrust into extraordinary situations would do.  I loved their perpetual awkwardness and uncertainty about themselves and others; their still being amazed with their superpowers even after they've become comfortable with them; their hang-ups and sources of happiness; their dealing with common family issues despite unusual circumstances.  It was hard not to empathize with each of the family members -- and even with their respective "sidekicks".  They were endearing and believable.

But what made it fail?  The writers totally forgot about the family and turned the whole thing into "Heroes".  They underestimated their core strength.  The implosion began the moment Mrs. X bitch-slapped Dr. King.  I remember watching that unfold and saying to myself, "Oh, man.  Yeah.  It's over."  A friend who also got so into the series said to me, "I want to see it all the way to the end, but without any more emotional investment."  It was truly heartbreaking to see something that had become promising and potentially amazing to be ended so suddenly, especially when its demise could have very well been prevented.

I am disappointed that the writers knew very well what to avoid, but they still went and rolled down that rocky hill.  Meanwhile, a voice inside my head has just whispered, "I told you so."

No comments:

Post a Comment