The Kindness of an Online Seller

Since 2008, my default shopper's mode has been to find almost everything online (I am a huge fan of online "tiangge" shopping via Multiply and Facebook).  While it's very convenient, online tiangge browsing is different from a face-to-face shopping experience particularly because every transaction is based on a "trust policy", owing to the fact that the exchange of cash and goods isn't immediate.  That's why most online shops have rigid "store guidelines".  They're there for both the seller's and the buyer's protection.  One amazingly bungled transaction could not only ruin anyone's day but, to a larger extent, reputation.

Thankfully, I haven't had a lot of bad experiences (just two horrible ones, really).  But, I have to say that among the many good experiences I've had, they involved mostly online sellers who were either: too persistent (makulit!); too eager to please; or what I call "plain Janes" -- they're just all about the business, which makes them efficient and easy to deal with but not really memorable.  To be memorable, sellers have to offer something extra, like the proverbial cherry on top.  These don't have to be extravagant add-ons; rather, just simple things, like an unexpected kindness.  An interesting inventory will get the shoppers' foot in the door, but it's the extras that make them loyal and actually buy something.  Online sellers that I consider memorable, I put into my personal go-to shortlist.

Let me illustrate by recounting how my special list's latest addition got my vote: I needed a new swimsuit.  A couple of days ago, this particular post (screencap on the right) on my Facebook wall caught my eye.  The online seller, Tops Shop, wasn't in my contact list at the time but our "mutual friend" is a seller I trusted.  I checked out her wares and, after an hour, decided on 3 items (2 swimsuit cover-ups and 1 swimsuit) then told the seller to bill me.

At first, I was totally OK with the amount I had to pay but, on a whim, I asked her if she could lower the price further.  It's my way of learning how comfortable I could get with the seller (potential "suki").  With smiley emoticons all around, she replied that she will waive the courier fee if I add another cover-up to my cart since the total amount would still be the same anyway.  Well, at least that was how I understood her message, which is why I was surprised to see a larger number on my revised bill.  Turns out, I kind of misread her message and, maybe in a hurry, she forgot to tell me about her "promo", where the courier fee will be waived with every single-transaction purchase of at least 3 cover-ups.  Or maybe she assumed I knew about the promo.  Whatever the reason for the miscommunication, it resulted in my potentially having to pay more than what I had planned to.  So, I asked if I could drop the swimsuit (it being the priciest item on the bill) and get just the 3 cover-ups (with the waived courier fee, because I'm cheap like that).

Her next reply changed the mood of our online exchange; no smiley in the Facebook mail from her but there was a worried emoticon, like this --> :S  She explained that she had already informed her supplier about our transaction and that the supplier isn't usually flexible when it comes to cancellations.  Now, before you complain that sellers should be flexible all the way until a transaction has already been closed, you have to remember that this whole thing was going on on-line.  The trust policy is king in this world.  A lot of sellers actually say outright in their "store guidelines" to not make any reservations unless you're 100% sure that you will get the goods.  Some sellers even say stuff like, "Let's not waste each other's time. Be sure about your reserved items".  If I were in their shoes, I'd probably impose the same restriction (I did, actually, 3 years ago when I forayed briefly into the other side and sold a few items online).

Going back to my story: the seller discussed it with her supplier the next day and, as she predicted, Ms. Supplier wasn't happy.  So, to avoid any problems, the girl behind Tops Shop became upfront with me and said she'll sell me the swimsuit at the supplier's price, which is sans her own commission, and also still waive the courier fee.  A couple of minutes later, she messaged me again and said that she was finally able to convince her supplier to cancel the swimsuit.

Of course, I was very pleased -- but not with getting my way, rather with how well Tops Shop girl handled our transaction and recovered from her slight bungle earlier.  She didn't only prove herself to be flexible, but also considerate.  Her kindness won me over.  I was so impressed that I didn't think twice and told her I would get everything, including the swimsuit at her original price.  She didn't deserve to lose her commission over a misunderstanding, especially since she more than made up for it.

My decision shocked her.  She asked if I was really sure about it.  I assured her that I was, adding that it is a pleasure to support sellers like her.

Kindness is memorable.  Remember that ;-)

Please support the online sellers in my Memorable Sellers list:
Blanc Bags
Tops Shop
Love Moon Online Shop
Medida Co.
Sewn Sandals
Vintage Sisters
UpCycled
What To Wear
iAdore Shop

Happy Shopping! :-)

1 comment: