Facebook Timeline: Hot or Not?

So, have you tried the new Facebook Timeline yet? I haven't and I'm not sure I want to.

But, first: what is Facebook Timeline? Here are two links that might shed some light:

Facebook Timeline unveiled by CEO Mark Zuckerberg [video]
Facebook’s New Profiles: First Impressions

Essentially, Facebook has given every user a free and customizable way to create their own multimedia autobiography. Depending on your privacy settings, it may very well serve as your own resume, too. The UI is clean and understandable enough. It will definitely take some getting used to and, being a new feature, needs time to pinch out those bugs. But, overall, it seems like a really nice and well thought-out feature.

However, for now, I personally am not too hot about getting on the bandwagon and creating my own timeline. It sounds like a lot of work. Plus, it's too...vain. I imagine it would lead to a lot of "Look at me! Look at me!" (which is already beginning, based on what I'm seeing in my FB newsfeed and that pesky ticker box).

Maybe it's just me who's waxing nostalgic about the old Facebook, but I miss the time when this social network was just all about connecting people virtually, instead of turning each online presence into an open book that gives people less excuse to interact with real people in the real world.

Oh well, what do I know? Facebook has been at the social media game longer than anyone (they probably started it). Some people may even come across creative uses for it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment