A Digital Library for Philippine Literature

Now that I've been reading a lot of books in digital format, I don't know why I was so hesitant to do so at first.   Most eBooks are less expensive than paperback, more easily accessible, and convenient.  You can bring dozens of books anywhere and anytime without breaking your back.   There are many Kindle users who have a thousand books in their devices.  Plus, it's less paper waste, which will always be a "win" in my, uh, book :-)

Since getting my own tablet, I'd been browsing eReader apps and downloading a lot of classics, including works by Edgar Allan Poe and H.P. Lovecraft.  It pleases me so much to find that I can access a treasure trove of good reads from long ago.

Image taken from Philippine Beat
But, one thing I've noticed is that there aren't a lot of Philippine literature among the various digital libraries. Hopefully that will be remedied soon with the recent launch of Vibe.  As my blogger friend, Jane A.K.A. "The Philippine Beat", describes it in her blog entry on the new homegrown application:

Vibal Foundation's goal was to make available to the reading public the widest number of newly published, out of print or public domain book titles, including magazines and newspapers. This is good news not only for academe who will have digital access to many books that have long been out of print but Vibe is also a way by which budding authors and bloggers can get their dream book/s self-published in cyberspace. And earn from it as well.

Click here to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment